Thursday, August 5, 2010

Inconsiderate Subway Riders


This morning I was riding the 4 train to work. My stop is early on the line so there are plenty of empty seats, but they fill up quickly as we go along into Manhattan. Once all the seats were filled, a man got on board with his coffee in one hand and a cane in the other. Once the train started moving I saw that he was having trouble holding on to the pole while managing all his things, so naturally I got out of my seat to give it to him (which I very often do for elderly people, very young kids, the disabled, and pregnant women). The guy was maybe two or three steps in front of me (so very close) and as I got up he started making a move to sit down... then out of nowhere a young girl, maybe 20 or 21, made a quick side step in front of him and sat down in my seat, taking it for herself. I was shocked.

I see this kind of stuff, although not so outright rude, happening all the time on the subway. Elderly people and the like are left to stand while young able bodied people kick back and relax. I guess it is survival of the fittest on the train... Of course I can't say that all people are like this, there are always people who, like me get up for others. It is just shocking that the majority of people who fail to give up their seats are is the age range of 18-25. Where did their manners go?

No comments:

Post a Comment