Monday, August 23, 2010

Horseshoe Falls, the US Side - Niagara Falls, NY

Niagara Falls, NY, USA
Erica in front of Horseshoe Falls
After some slacklining (photos) in front of American Falls it was time to take the pedestrian bridge over the falls to go see Horseshoe Falls. It is really easy to miss the US side of Horseshoe Falls because once you reach Luna Island, which separates American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls, it looks like the path ends - good thing a friend told my dad that once you think the path is over, keep walking. Good thing too because if I was on my own I would have probably turned around and completely missed Horseshoe Falls (well, I still would have seen it from Canada)!

And wow - Horseshoe Falls is amazing! It is so big and powerful, yet peaceful and majestic. I took some time to lay my sarong out, close my eyes, and just listen to the sound of the water crashing down below me. I sometimes like being reminded just how small and powerless I am.

Niagara Falls, NY
Trashing Niagara Falls

Sadly not even the powerful Horseshoe Falls is immune from being trashed by humans. Right next to the falls there was an ugly plastic bag full of trash. So sad that we manage to put our trash in every place possible. Wherever I go there is trash - uninhabited beaches, middle of the forest, and even the mighty Niagara Falls. There were also cigarette butts littered everywhere - even in Canada, where everything is a little bit more pristine! I pray for the day when cigarettes will be outlawed - or at least raise taxes on those things, cleanup alone must cost a small fortune.

After spending some time at Horseshoe Falls we walked back to the car and started heading towards the boarder - but we first made a nice stop at Whirlpool State Park, New York, which I highly recommend for anyone visiting Niagara Falls.

Niagara Falls, NY
View from Luna Island. Left side: Bridal Veil Falls, right side: American Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment