Friday, August 13, 2010

Goodbye Bronx. Hello Harlem!

West Harlem Piers Park
West Harlem Piers Park
On Tuesday I moved from The Bronx into the Morningside/Hamilton Heights area of Harlem. People who don't live in New York often say, "Um, isn't that area dangerous?" while people who live here say, "Oh, that's a really nice area." Although Harlem is predominately a black neighborhood it is still very safe. There are kids playing on the streets and people come out once the sun goes down to sit and chat on the sidewalks.

Our new place is really great. It is a one bedroom with a living room, kitchen, and bathroom, on the top (3rd) floor of a brownstone walkup. Right now brownstones are very popular so I am excited that I get to live in one for the next two months. The place is furnished very nicely with all the things that have been brought back from the subletter's travels and the couple's book collection is large and very interesting!

Home
Harlem Home
Our new place is also one block away from Wast Harlem Piers Park - a lovely park overlooking the Hudson River - where Russell and I walk to every day for sunset. There is a path that runs along the Hudson that you can take all the way to the southern tip of Manhattan. This is also the park I walk through to get to work - yes, now I am close enough to walk to work (an easy 1.5 mile walk each way).

Like my Bronx home the subway is only about two blocks away (now I am near the 1 train, rather than the 4 & D). Unfortunately the new stop is not an express train (Bronx had two express trains that stopped by my house). No matter, it is still very convenient and if I need to get somewhere that is far off I can always transfer to an express.

Also, although I am yet to see a delicious place for pizza by the slice, there is a great Italian place down the street as well as a GIANT natural food store called Fairway Market (with free olive samples!).

My new home in Harlem is certainly growing on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment