Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Arlington National Cemetery

Iwo Jima Memorial
Iwo Jima Memorial
The following morning Russell and I woke up, relaxed a bit, then walked to Starbucks (which I have learned only uses milk that is free of bovine growth hormone before checking out of our hotel. Another great thing about The Quincy is that they gladly held our bags for us while we walked to Virginia to visit the Arlington National Cemetery.

I wanted to be sure to see the Marine Corps War Memorial, aka the Iwo Jima Memorial, so we went there first. On our way there Russell and I walked past the Netherlands Carillon, the flowers and pretty and the bells sound nice, but really Netherlands - why did you have to give a gift that is so ugly?

Russell and I relaxed our tired feet at the Iwo Jima Memorial - again I cannot overstate the importance of having a sarong - and after a rest in the shade we continued on our way to the main part of Arlington Cemetery. By the time we made our way to John F. Kennedy's gravesite and instead of going to see more sites in the cemetery we decided to find a nice patch of grass, lay out my sarong, and relax some more. It is always so peaceful in a cemetery and laying down under the low overhanging tree branches swaying in the wind was very calming.

Arlington National Cemetery
Russell in Arlington National Cemetery
Once we were rested up we decided that we should get moving and have lunch. After reading the Arlington Cemetery brochure, I noticed that they encourage people to leave the paved walkways and walk, respectfully, among the headstones - and that is exactly what we did. I think many people, myself included, think that because there are paths with and chain fence lining them, that you are not allowed to cross into the grassy areas with the headstones, because I didn't notice anyone else leaving the path. It was definitely an overwhelming feeling walking between rows and rows of white headstones.

After we left Arlington, we ate, and headed home to NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment