Saturday, July 17, 2010

MoMa - Museum of Modern Art

Study for Luxe, calme et volupté, Henri Matisse (1904)
Study for Luxe, calme et volupté, Henri Matisse
Today after cleaning Ziggy's litter box I went to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMa, for short). This is the third museum I have visited, but I definitely did not save the best of the big three  for last. Actually, I'd say that I visited them in my order of preference - the Museum of Natural History, followed by the Metropolitan Museum of Art (the Met), and lastly the Museum of Modern Art. I love the natural sciences and anthropology, so it mades sense the the Museum of Natural History was my favorite. The Met is a mix of anthropology and art, so it was a nice middle ground. But the MoMa... maybe I just don't get modern art. I didn't find the MoMa very striking. Of course there was some beautiful artwork that stopped my in my tracks, but there was a lot of work that left me scratching my head wondering, "So this is what they call art?"

Luncheon on the Grass, Pablo Picasso (1962)
Luncheon on the Grass, Pablo Picasso
The MoMa does house van Gogh's Starry Night, my favorite painting (well one of my favorites, now that I have been introduced to Monet and others). Besides being a New York icon, seeing Starry Night was one of the main reasons I wanted to go to the MoMa. Although I feel that Starry Night and van Gogh's other painting, Olive Trees, would have fit better at the Met.

The MoMa also had a bunch of Picasso's. I must say that Picasso is growing on me. I like all of the shapes and colors - I can search his paintings for however long I want and always find something new that I hadn't noticed before, this is especially true of his sketches.

Lunch Truck
Street Food
One exhibit that I especially liked was one called "Rising Currents: Projects for New York's Waterfronts. This project basically re-envisions the coastlines of New York and New Jersey around New York Harbor in an attempt to put forward new ideas that would transform the harbor into “soft” infrastructures that promote good ecology, and in the future, will help prevent New York City from being inundated by rising sea levels. The plan comes is a five part solution and is actually very ingenious, if only there was enough political might and public interest in getting a project like this going. My favorite solution was Oyster-Tecture. Basically the plan is to suspend a matrix of nets below that water that will hold native oysters. There will be spaces between the clumps of oysters for sea life and for people to scuba dive, swim, and snorkel. Eventually the oyster clumps will become mini islands that will be connected by walking paths for the public to enjoy. The oyster islands will not only act as a recreational area for the people of NYC, but will also act as a storm barrier, causing waves to break up and prevent large storm surges. You can see a mini version of the plan in the photos I took.

I also liked the Tree of Wishes - a gift from Yoko Ono. You write a wish on a tab with a string then tie it onto this small tree. I wished for a peaceful end to the Israeli occupation of Palestine and for the end of the war in Afghanistan. Neither are likely to happen any time soon, but one can hope. Maybe Obama will pick up Newsweek magazine this Sunday featuring a cover story by Richard Haass called "Rethinking Afghanistan: We're not winning. It's not worth it. Here's how to draw down in Afghanistan."

Radio City Music Hall, Rockefeller Center
Radio City Music Hall
After the museum I took a walk through Rockefeller Center and the diamond district. I wonder if people are aware of where some of those diamonds come from and the circumstances in which they are obtained.

I also had some street food today. Generally street food is pretty great, but today the rice was only ok, the falafel was really dry, and the salad was tasteless. What a letdown. Oh well. I always am thankful that I have the ability to have food whenever I want it.

Also, I have met flickr's photo limit of 200. I am thinking of migrating to Goggle's Picasa. Has anyone tried out Picasa?

No comments:

Post a Comment