Thursday, July 15, 2010

Brooklyn Bridges falling down... wait. no. That was the London Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge
Erica in front of the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan
After my trip to the Met last Saturday I really wanted to go to another museum, but decided to save that for this upcoming weekend. Instead, I decided to go shopping for some new sneakers. I didn't bring and sneakers with me to New York, only sandals and work shoes because my shoes were getting pretty old and they were starting to be uncomfortable. Plus I had no room in my bags! Leaving New York will be fine because I am going to mail my mom all of my work clothes and shoes - hopefully I will make it down to just my big backpackers bag.

St Paul's Chapel
Saint Paul's Chapel
Anyways, I took the 4 train down to Century 21, that great store I have already mentioned that has name brands at super discount prices (not that I am a brand snob, I just like a good deal). The store is right next to the 9/11 site (where an 18th century ship was just uncovered) and the train dropped me off in front of St. John's Chapel. The last time I went there, during my walking tour, the cemetery was closed. This time, however, it was open so I took a stroll through the graves, many of whose names have been wiped clean from hundreds of years of rain. Funerals and burials have always seemed so odd to me. Spend a nice chunk of change on the funeral, plus a shining casket as well as a headstone, just to have the new casket buried under dirt and the headstone wiped clean of all traces of you name and any other information. I think funerals are obviously for the people that have been left behind - so they have a place to mourn and a place to come and remember. But after a generation or two, sometimes even less, headstones just become a part of the scenery and eventually they go back to the rocks and dust that they were made from, just like the bodies that lie beneath.

It was also an odd feeling being in a cemetery the overlooks ground zero. I can't put my finger on why that is, and I can't describe the feeling I had either - peaceful yet unsettling may be the best was to describe it...

Brooklyn Bridge
Panorama of the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan

After walking among the headstones (which by the way people were giving me odd looks because I didn't stay on the path, but isn't that what a cemetery for?) and relaxing on a bench I decided to get moving and headed to the store for some shopping. I went straight to the shoe section - very difficult to find, by the way - and you wouldn't believe it! They had WOMENS athletic shoes in my size! This is the first time this has ever happened to me! They, of course, did not have any dress shoes in my size but just the fact that they had athletic shoes in a size 12 was incredible! Now I own my first pair of shoes that are designed for a women's foot, which also meant that I could buy a color that is generally characterized as girly - bright pink! I always get blue shoes from the men's department, but I finally got to buy a pair of pink shoes! They are not all pink - then I would just look like a clown with how big my feet are - they are mostly grey but with pink detail. Now I have a brand new pair of pink Nikes. Unfortunately, the day after I bought them I read this article about Nike burning tons of rubber scraps per day from their factory in Indonesia (who knows how often is occurs elsewhere). Sad. I wonder if they know how many things scrap rubber can be used for?

Brooklyn Bridge
The Brooklyn Bridge
After shopping - I also bought a few other things - I started to head back to the subway and decided to walk a a station a bit further away by City Hall Park. That station is also near the entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge. Rather than going home I decided that I should just walk across the the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the oldest suspension bridges in the US - and off I went. By the way, always walk first then shop - otherwise you are just stuck walking with a giant bag of stuff!

It turned out to be a good decision to take that walk because it was just beautiful - the view of Manhattan, the view of Brooklyn, the weather (the clouds were stunning and there were lightning flashes over Midtown), and the water of the East River below. As I was walking across I noticed a park down below in Dumbo (Dumbo = down under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass, oh New York and all of its acronyms) and decided that I would try and make my way down to it. I found the park, which was really easy considering that it was on the waterfront, and the view was spectacular! Right in between the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan Bridge. Also, a wedding ceremony was also being set up - what a nice day for a wedding.

Down in Dumbo - Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges
Down in DUMBO - view of the Brooklyn Bridge & Manhattah Btidge
I took a little break on some rocks then headed to the subway to try and make it to Lombardi's - the first place pizza was introduced to America. After walking in circles I finally found the place. My expectation was that I would be able to just walk in and get a quick slice, but no. Lombardi's is more like a sit down place, and there were a lot of people waiting outside for a table so I just walked right past - that will be somewhere I go with my Mom and Matt when they come for a visit or with Russell when he arrives.


I took the long train ride home and grabbed a bit to eat at a local diner, of which I had higher expectations. Too bad it was a letdown. Oh well, at least the shake was good, very small, but good nonetheless. The rest of the night I hung out at home with Ziggy the cat.. one day I will have to write a post about how awesome Ziggy is!


Brooklyn Bridge & Manhattan
Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan Skyline

No comments:

Post a Comment