Monday, July 5, 2010

Fourth of July Weekend

Empire State Building
Empire State Building
Saturday I took myself on another walking tour. I started at Union Square Park where there was a farmers market. I had to wheat grass, which I later regretted because it gave me a terrible stomach ache. And I got that stomach ache while waiting in line to get a shake from the famous Shake Shack in Madison Square Park. The line was incredibly long and by the time I was set to order I was feeling sick and cranky. Then when I got the chocolate shake it was a total let down! I didn't even finish a quarter of it - what a waste of time and money! I did take a little nap under the shade trees in the park until my stomach felt better, then tanned a bit in the sun before continuing my walk.

While walking I came across two sample sales. I had read about sample sales in my Lonely Planet book and have always wanted to check one out. What they say about sample sales is true - there are some serious designer clothes in there for 70-90% off. I was so tempted to buy something, but I remembered reading the Lonely Planet warning: don't buy something just because of the label and the cheap prices, you need to really like it. For example, I found a dress that was $1,500 originally, discounted to $135. Good deal, right? Well, one hundred and thirty five dollars is a lot of money for me no matter how you look at it, so I put the lovely dress down and walked out. Maybe I will go to another one again sometime - it can be fun trying on a bunch of fancy clothes.

Times Square at Night
Times Square at Night
Next I headed to the Empire State Building and decided to catch the sunset from the top. I have heard that the lines are insane but I saw that people were flying through so I took my chances and went in. Unfortunately the line that was moving quickly was the security line and once I passed that I saw that it would be at least one hour  of waiting to get to the top. Then I remembered reading that if you buy you ticket online then you can pass the line. So I got out of line and decided that I would just wait for another day when I could buy a ticket online.

P7030330
Times Square
After leaving the Empire State Building I took a walk down 5th Avenue and did some window shopping at all the fancy stores. Then I realized that I was near Times Square so I headed that way to see it lit up at night, and man was it lit up! It is like day time there with all of the lights! I walked up to the top of these bleacher-like stairs that are lit up with red lights and hung out there for a while taking in all of the lights and people (there are many more people there at night than during the day). The as I was heading to the subway I noticed someone was playing one of the public pianos that have been set up throughout the city for anyone to play. The guy who was playing was great! He could play any song and sing along as well. People would shout out songs and he would just do his thing. Everybody was clapping and singing along too! It was so much fun! I stayed there for at least an hour listening to him play.

Times Square Piano Man
Times Square Piano Man
Once the piano man had to leave I decided to leave a well, so I headed to the subway to make my way home and go to bed. It is difficult sleeping when it is so damn hot out. At night it doesn't get an lower than 75ºF - that is the coolest it gets! Oh well, better get used to it. I hear it only gets worse in August.

Yesterday, the 4th of July, I headed to a waterfront park to view the fireworks. I am not really one for crazy drunken people so I came to this park where there was only limited access and mostly families. I got a great spot on the lawn, had some frozen lemonade, worked on my tan, and came close to finishing Freefall. I had to get there early to get a good spot before the closed off the park, after which they begin finning up the street behind the park. After relaxing in the park for 5 hours the show started and it was beautiful! A bunch of fireworks being set of simultaneously across the water for a half hour. The show is supposed to be America's largest and it is nicknamed "The Golden Mile" because boats set off fireworks for one mile along the Hudson River.

4th of July View of the Hudson
Hudson River Sunset
After the show was over I busted out of the park as quick as I could while other people were still packing their things. I am so glad that I am a light packer. All I brought was my purse with a book and camera and a sarong tied to the strap. Plus, one person maneuvering through a HUGE crowd is much easier than when you are with a group, so I made it out rather quickly and got onto the subway before the trains started to get too full. That was definitely the most people I have seen on the streets in my life though. Everywhere I looked there were people - and I wasn't even in the thick of it!

It was another hot night and I slept terribly. Luckily today I don't have to work so I was able to sleep in, but that means that I am not going to the beach this weekend. Ah well, maybe next weekend!

4th of July Crowd
Get here early if you want a spot on the grass

No comments:

Post a Comment