Saturday, June 19, 2010

World Trade Center

Ground Zero
Ground Zero construction site
Actually my title is a little bit misleading. When I tried to geo-tag my photos "World Trade Center" did not show up - Ground Zero did. Soon, the Freedom Towers will stand there.

Freedom Towers and Memorial
Future palns for Ground Zero
I expected my experience to be a little bit more overwhelming, but being at ground zero really didn't live up the expectations I had. I felt no emotions, at least at first. Maybe because the site was covered by a blue lining and there were cranes and construction material everywhere. The holes are still there, although they are difficult to see with all of the obstructions. They will become a part of the planned memorial, which in my opinion looks like it is going to be a really great memorial, the best I've seen. Water will cascade down into the holes where the towers used to stand and the names of the people who died there will surround them.

After leaving ground zero I walked to the World Financial Center, which gives the best view of ground zero. Then took a walk in Battery Park, along the Hudson River. Here is where the NYPD memorial is (you can see it in my flickr photo stream, if you wish). There was also an air show going on over the water - it was a nice break sitting under the shade trees watching the show.

After leaving the park I went to the 9/11 memorial museum - that is where the emotions came flooding in. Walls covered with missing people flyers. Photos, videos, and quotes. A massive timeline. Twisted metal and debris. Overwhelming.


My favorite part of the museum was the hall of 1000 cranes, modeled after Sadako Sasaki's 1000 cranes of Hiroshima.
1000 Cranes
Hall of 1,000 Cranes
"Please treasure the life that is given to you.

Please experience all the things that I could not experience in my life. I entrust a small heart of compassion (omoiyari) to all of you.

It is my belief that me small paper crane will enable you to understand other people's feelings as if they are your own."

~Sadako Sasaki, 1955

I hope this quote was included to remind everyone not only to remember those 2,995 people lost on 9/11 but to also the 4,410 US troops killed in Iraq, puls the 316 non-US troops, the 141 journalists, and hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians killed - not to mention all those lost in the ongoing war in Afghanistan. To understand the Other....

No comments:

Post a Comment