Saturday, June 19, 2010

I have arrived!

My First NYC Cab Ride
First NYC taxi ride
After leaving Sacramento on a red eye, I finally arrived at JFK at 6:30am (3:30am CA time) and took a cab to the studio I am staying in for three nights - in the heart of Manhattan - and crashed for an hour until I got phone call reminding me that I was supposed to be looking at a place to sublet. So, like a zombie, I headed to the metro for my first ride of many. I bought a 30 day unlimited ride pass (subway and bus) for $90 - which will save me in the long run considering I will have to make at least 2 trips per day at $2.75 each, plus I plan on knowing all of New York while I'm here. After grabbing a subway map I was off.

The metro here is really fun! There are a lot of interesting people who perform on the train and in the stations. There were two ladies who sang beautifully - next time I'll have to record them.

After seeing The Bronx sublet (very nice, and big for visitors!!), which includes cat-sitting in exchange for cheap rent, I headed back to Chelsea for some sleep - until I got a text reminding me that I was supposed to see another sublet, this time in Park Slope, Brooklyn. What a nice area Park Slope is! Shade trees lining every street and beautiful buildings right out of the movies. Another nice sublet, again reduced rent in exchange for cat-sitting.

Park Slope Streets
Park Slope, Brooklyn
The sublet was only five blocks from Prospect Park, so I decided to talk a walk there since I've heard it is very beautiful (the designers of the park, who also designed Central Park, said that it was their best work ever), and it didn't let down. I found a quiet spot surrounded by trees and bushes to sit down and meditate, but after five minutes I nearly fell over from sleep so I decided to head "home" to sleep in a bed. After nodding off a few times on the subway I finally got home and slept - like a rock - from 5pm until 4am this morning.

Today I am heading to northern Manhattan to see another sublet, this time without a cat. While I'm up there I will probably take a walk through Inwood Hills Park along the Hudson River and maybe head to Central Park as well or the World Trade Center site since it is pretty close to where I am currently staying.

I'll be updating this blog regularly throughout my stay in New York and beyond. If you have gmail, twitter, etc, you can easily follow me to stay up to date.

Tchau, Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment