Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Time for Work, and a Bit of Play

Office View
View from the office
Yesterday was my first day working at the Clinton Foundation - and it's pretty cool. I am working on the top floor next to President Clinton's office, although if you keep up with the news you will know that he is currently in Africa. My office overlooks central park, which is really great. I have an office one floor lower as well, but without the view.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to write much about what I am currently doing since it involves confidential matters regarding the President and his work, but I can still write vaguely about my days there.

Once a week we have speakers come in for the "brown bag lunch" series. Yesterday a fella came in to talk about Advance. He pretty much told us about the intense amount of planning and coordination that happens before a president, presidential candidate, celebrity, etc., arrives at an event  -  from where (s)he will land to who will greet them, where the press will be, backdrops, lighting, sound, EVERYTHING - and it seems like there is A LOT of planning that goes on. In addition, they have to conduct walk-throughs to get timing and coordination right. The main point I got out of the talk was that the Advance team is basically trying to set up a scene where the media will be able to encompass the moment in a single photo or camera shot. I thought it was all very interesting.

10,000 people in Central Park practicing yoga
After work Kathy and I met her pal Mika at Central Park (yay! I finally made it to Central Park!) where there was a MASSIVE yoga meet-up. Over 10,000 people were meeting to get a free yoga mat, and some extra goodies followed by a yoga session on the great lawn. The line (well, there were multiple lines, actually) wrapped through the park out onto the surrounding streets. Unfortunately you had to have a print-out ticket to get the free mat. Mika had a ticked, so she waited in line, which ended up being unnecessary because I just stepped into the front of the line and was handed a free mat, water bottle, and bag - even without a ticket! SCORE! So now I have a real yoga mat! And although it started raining (I left went the rain arrived) the event did manage to break the world record for the largest registered yoga class.

On another note, my feet are pretty torn up. I bought really comfy shoes to wear to work, but when you end up walking miles a day it can add up to some major blisters - it's actually not that bad, only two blisters and they are already healing up. On the bright side, my legs are looking mighty fine from all of this walking, plus all of the stairs I take to get to and from the subway. Brazilian bikini here I come!

Central Park
Turtle Pond in Central park
Also, the food here is really great! There are street vendors selling deliciously ripe and freshly cut fruit on every corner uptown near my work. I plan to have some every day after I leave the office. And fruit here is even cheaper than in California! I bought a giant box of scrumptiously sweet strawberries (how about that alliteration!) for only $1.50, when in CA it would have been at least $4 or more.

Suffice to say that I am having a great time getting to know New York. I really enjoy it here. One of my favorite things to do is watch the demographics change on the subway as I make my way through the city. By the time I get to my stop I am usually the only white person on the subway car! --Don't worry, I feel very safe, and people are extremely nice. I live in a residential area with a lot of families around-- And it is amazing how many people speak Spanish here. I have never seen so many non-Latinos speaking Spanish in my life! I really am loving it here right now, but I don't think I would want to be here for the polar winter. Spending the summer here, I think, will be the perfect amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment